|Judge Name:||Claire (Kitty) Steidel|
|Types of Shows:||Conformation|
|Type of Breeds|
|I grew up with dogs—an Irish Setter, a English Setter and any stray I found, so it was no surprise that I was drawn to dog shows. Under the Sanchu prefix, my husband, Chuck, and I have been involved with Basset Hounds since 1968 and PBGV’s since their introduction to the U.S. in 1983. Always an owner handler, I showed proudly in Bred By Exhibitor classes until I was approved to judge the Hound Group; I then retired from going in the ring personally. Many of our Bassets and those related to ours have earned top honours at the BHCA Nationals from 1993 Ch Sanchu’s Hot Toddy (BOB) until the present. Our retired special Ch. Topsfield-Sanchu Eenie Meenie Miney Moe, aka Tiger, was BOB in 2013.
In the past I have been the Gazette breed columnist for the PBGVCA, written a monthly column for Sight and Scent, the all hound magazine. I have served as the JEC Chair for the PBGV club since the founding of the club in 1984 served as PBGVCA’s first President, and registered the first PBGV with the AKC, Ch Babette de la Garonne. I have spent 30+ years on the Basset Club of America's JEC, served 14 years as Delegate to the AKC, am currently a member of the Board of the Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen Club of America. I helped originate the Scottsdale Dog Judges Workshop, newly named the Arizona Dog Judges Education, and The Golden Gate Judges Seminars for rarer breeds. The following clubs have honoured me with Life Membership: Basset Hound Club of America, PBGV Club of America, Scottsdale Dog Fanciers, and Channel City KC. I give frequent presentations on the PBGVs, Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen and Bassets. I have judged in the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark as well as New Zealand, Australia and Argentina.
In 1987 my book, Understanding the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen (Orient) received a nomination for best breed book by the Dog Writers Association of America. It was the first book written in any language devoted exclusively to the PBGV.
I graduated from Wells College in Aurora, NY with a major in English. Following this I earned a Master's Degree from Cornell University. I taught Junior High English and ESOL in public and private schools and sold Real Estate.
I am approved to judge Hounds and Sporting Groups, 11 Toys; Permit status for 8 toys and Miniature American Shepherds, Aussies.
|Dog Name||GCh SilverSpar 1Singular Sensation|
|Breed||Old English Sheepdog|
Featured LinksThe Canadian Kennel Club
- The Canadian Kennel Club (CKC) is the primary registry body for purebred dogs in Canada and currently recognizes 187 breeds.
- Considering purchasing a purebred dog? The Puppy List is an easy-to-use searchable database that includes contact information for CKC Member Breeders.
- Adding a new member to your family can be an exciting and patience-trying experience. Before contacting potential breeders, visit CKC’s Finding an Accountable Breeder page for a list of key tips to help you find the right breeder for you.
- Barry Truax's Top Dog stats for 1988 - 2007 plus Terriers up to 2017.
- Contact the CDJA to offer Ringside Mentoring & Breed Presentations
- A Canada wide initiative by dedicated enthusiasts, designed to promote the benefits of purebred dog ownership.
Did you know
- So far today Canuck Dogs has had 5,908 visitors.
- Canuck Dogs receives on average 128,340 visitors a day.
- Last month Canuck Dogs received 2,774,818 visitors.
- Since March 26, 2010, Canuck Dogs received 615,776,546 visitors.